Sunday, January 5, 2020

Freddie Hubbard – Red Clay (CTI, 1970)


Freddie Hubbard (tr); Joe Henderson (ts); Herbie Hancock (el p, org); Ron Carter (b); Lenny White (d)

Recorded on January 27 - 29, 1970

Believe it or not, it took me several years to compile the list of recordings I’ve chosen to feature in this project.  In some cases, deciding which record to include was difficult.  But today’s choice wasn’t hard.  In fact, when I began this project, trumpeter Freddie Hubbard’s Red Clay was one that I immediately knew would be on the list.  It’s one of my all-time favorites, a personal "desert-island disc."

Recorded in the first month of the new decade for Creed Taylor’s CTI, Red Clay was Hubbard’s first for the label.  Hubbard was well-served by CTI, but Red Clay stands above the rest.  I’m not sure that I believe in the concept of an “essential” record, but everyone who loves jazz owes it to themselves to hear this at least once.

According to the liner notes, this was the record that Freddie thought was his best.  If you listen, it’s not hard to understand why.  From the opening fanfare, Freddie plays beautifully, with remarkable power and lyricism.  Every sideman is an all-star, elevating the session with their contributions.  And the compositions, all written by Hubbard (except for John Lennon's "Cold Turkey," which is included on CD but was not on the original LP release), are memorable—especially the title cut, which has become a jazz standard.


More Freddie Hubbard
I think Freddie’s CTI recordings are the strongest records he made during the 1970s.  After Red Clay, I’d rate Straight Life (1970), First Light (1971), and Keep Your Soul Together (1973) as his best.  But don’t overlook Freddie’s Columbia LPs from the latter half of the decade.  There's some fine music there, even if they are less consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...