Sunday, February 23, 2020

Tete Montoliu – Songs for Love (Enja, 1974)

Tete Montoliu (p)

Recorded on September 25, 1971

Catalonian pianist Tete Montoliu was born blind in 1933.  After years of private instruction and study at the Conservatori Superior de Música de Barcelona, Montoliu developed an advanced piano style, influenced by American Art Tatum.  

Montoliu formed his own groups (typically trios), but he also regularly played with famous American jazz soloists living in or touring Europe, notably George Coleman, Kenny Dorham, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin, Lionel Hampton, Joe Henderson, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Lucky Thompson, and Ben Webster, among others.

Today's selection, Songs for Love, is one of Montoliu's many solo-piano outings from his voluminous discography.



More Tete Montoliu
Among Montoliu's recordings from the 1970s, I've also particularly enjoyed Blues for Myself (Ensayo, 1977), another solo-piano outing, as well as Secret Love (Timeless, 1978), a trio date with Sam Jones and Billy Higgins.





1 comment:

  1. By strange coincidence, I also have "Songs for Love" and "Blues for Myself" in my collection. I had never even heard of the latter, released on a Spanish label, until I found it at a used record store for $7. Both records are truly excellent, and it's a shame that they are not more widely known and celebrated. All part of the 1970s neglect syndrome, I suppose. Tete's Steeplechase albums of that decade are better known, and I especially like "Tete a Tete." Glad to have these albums featured in the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...