Saturday, March 7, 2020

Hugh Masekela – Home Is Where the Music Is (Chisa/Blue Thumb, 1972)

Hugh Masekela (tr); Dudu Pukwana (as); Larry Willis (p, el p); Eddie Gómez (el b); Makaya Ntshoko (d)

Recorded in January 1972

Reissued on vinyl as The Africa Connection in the ABC Impulse "Dedication Series" (1978).

Other than Hugh Masekela's number one hit from 1968, "Grazing in the Grass," I was completely unfamiliar with his music -- until I heard Home Is Where the Music Is.  I discovered the album just a few years ago, while doing research for this project. The music is so soulful and lyrical and immediately appealing, it quickly became one of my "new" favorites.

Originally released as a 2-LP set, the album is like a perfect meal.  Everything comes together beautifully: musicians, compositions, arrangements, production. It all works.

Three of the musicians here are South African: Masekela, Dudu Pukwana, and Makaya Ntshoko.  We've already encountered Pukwana's reedy and passionate alto sax as a member of Chris MacGregor's Brotherhood of Breath.  Ntshoko initially gained notoriety as a drummer with fellow South African Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim.  The three South Africans bring "Cape Jazz" and Afrobeat elements to this music, blending it seamlessly with more familiar-sounding African-American jazz, blues, and soul sounds.

The contributions from the two American musicians are also worth noting.  Larry Willis has long been one of my favorite musicians, and his piano and electric piano work throughout is superb.  Willis' gentle lyricism adds so much to this record, and Eddie Gómez is his normal swinging and propulsive self.





I understand that this album is atypical, compared with other albums in Masekela's discography.  I haven't heard enough to know whether this is true.  I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks there are other "essential" Masekela records that I need to hear. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...