Sunday, April 19, 2020

Dudu Pukwana & Spear – In the Townships (Caroline/Earthworks, 1974)

Dudu Pukwana (as, p, cga, perc, vo, arr); Bizo Mngqikana (ts, perc, vo); Mongezi Feza (tr, cga, perc, vo); Harry Miller (b, el-b); Louis Moholo (d, perc)

Recorded on August 25 and November 10, 1973

This is urgent, raucous, and joyous Cape Jazz from Dudu Pukwana.  It's bursting with vitality.  

Pukwana made lasting and considerable contributions to two albums already covered in this survey: Chris MacGregor's Brotherhood of Breath and Hugh Masakela's Home Is Where the Music Is.  

But I think In the Townships is Pukwana's finest hour.  

Since this album is out-of-print and may be difficult to find, I've inserted links to the LP's seven cuts below.  If you're unfamiliar with this music, give these tracks a listen and see if you aren't won over by this irresistible music -- just like I was! 
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...