Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Paul Desmond Quartet – Live (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975) and Paul Desmond – S/T (Artists House, 1978)

Paul Desmond (as); Ed Bickert (g); Don Thompson (b); Jerry Fuller (d)

Recorded on October 25, 27, 30 & 31 and November 1, 1975


Mosaic recently released all of the music from this Paul Desmond gig on a 7-CD set, The Complete 1975 Toronto Recordings (2020).  

Originally, A&M Horizon released a two-LP set.  A few years later, John Synder's Artists House label released a third LP containing more music from the same engagement.

I haven't heard the Mosaic set.  If the unreleased music is as good as these original albums, then I'm not surprised that Mosaic chose to go whole-hog and issue all of it.  It's terrific.

If any readers out there have taken the plunge and heard the Mosaic set, let me know what you think!















1 comment:

  1. I have the 2 LP set and highly recommend it on vinyl because the sonics are so great. Club atmosphere is palpable, as is the group interplay. Paul played a lot with guitarists after leaving Dave Brubeck, notably Jim Hall. This LP has Ed Beckert on guitar and he fits right in.

    I'm so struck by the sound of the LPs that I'm reluctant to acquire the 7-CD set. I tried a Telarc CD from the same shows and it did not satisfy. Nothing wrong with the music, just a vinyl junkie's preference. ...And I have all the Desmond/Jim Hall recordings on RCA!!

    ReplyDelete

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...