Sunday, August 30, 2020

Billy Hart – Enchance (A&M Horizon, 1977)

Billy Hart (d); Dewey Redman (ts); Oliver Lake (as, fl); Eddie Henderson (tr); Hannibal Marvin Peterson [Hannibal Lokumbe] (tr, koto); Don Pullen (p); Buster Williams (b); Dave Holland (b); Thabo Michael Carvin (perc)

Recorded on February 24, 1977 and March 3, 1977


I was hipped to this great record by Ethan Iverson, whose jazz writings are compelling -- even when I don't come to the same conclusions -- because they're always informed by a love of the music.  (And his piano playing ain't half bad either.)  

But I loved Billy Hart's drumming long before I had the pleasure of hearing this LP.  In fact, Hart appears on more than 20 (!) recordings in my survey -- more than any other drummer.  That says a great deal about his musicality as well as his versatility.

Enchance is an opportunity to hear Hart focus on his own composition performed by an absolutely killer band.  Hart's music often takes less obvious routes to its destination, and that sly subtlety is very appealing.  It's a characteristic that extends from this LP -- Hart's first release as a leader -- right up to his current quartet with Iverson, Mark Turner, and Ben Street.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...