Sunday, September 27, 2020

Jan Garbarek – Places (ECM, 1978)

Jan Garbarek (ts, ss, as); Bill Connors (g); John Taylor (p, org); Jack DeJohnette (d)

Recorded in December 1977


Everything comes together perfectly on this LP.  Along with the recordings he co-led with Bobo Stenson, I regard Places as the best record Garbarek ever made.

Check out John Taylor's organ work here.  It's utterly strange and unique and wonderful.

At the time, this was something different, and it still sounds fresh.




1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is one of Garbarek's best recordings. The organ parts are truly unique. This makes the whole session rise above the normally good ECM production to become great. I am not a huge Jan Garbarek fan, as I find much of his work to be colder than cool, which of course some critics see as his strength. A bit more lyricism and (gasp) vibrato might win me over. But Places is a special record.

    ReplyDelete

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...