Sunday, October 4, 2020

Martial Solal – Suite for Trio (MPS, 1978)

Martial Solal (p); Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b); Daniel Humair (d)

Recorded on February 27 - 28, 1978


This LP was my introduction to Martial Solal. It absolutely floored me.

Suite for Trio remains one of my all-time favorite piano trio recordings.









More Martial Solal

I urgently recommend all of Solal's recordings for MPS.  Taken as a group, I think they represent Solal at his very best.  In addition to Movability (duets with NHØP; previously covered in this survey) and Suite for Trio, they include:
- Nothing But Piano (MPS, 1976) - solo
- The Solosolal (MPS, 1979) - solo
- Four Keys (MPS, 1979) - quartet with Lee Konitz, John Scofield, and NHØP 
- Live at The Berlin Jazz Days 1980 (MPS, 1980) - duo with Lee Konitz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...