Sunday, November 1, 2020

Sam Rivers - Waves (Tomato, 1979)

Sam Rivers (ts, ss, fl, p); Joe Daley (tu, bar hn); Dave Holland (b, vc); Thurman Barker (drums, perc)

Recorded on August 8, 1978


Sam Rivers' music is vital.  You can jump into his extensive discography just about anywhere and you'll find fascinating music.  

But I think his art is especially compelling in the second half of the 1970s.  He made a series of small-group recordings that I think are special. 

Waves is one of them.  I'm not even sure that I'd describe it as his "best" or "strongest."  It's just the one that I've enjoyed the most.  Listening to it makes me think of Charles Ives.  The sounds are so limitless and personal and cosmic. 




More Sam Rivers

- Streams (ABC Impulse, 1973)
- Crystals (ABC Impulse, 1974)
- The Quest (Red, 1976)
- Sizzle (ABC Impulse, 1976)
- Paragon (Fluid, 1977)
- Contrasts (ECM, 1980)

The Lithuanian label No Business is in the process of issuing a series of releases culled from Rivers' archives.  Three albums have been released so far, and a fourth is scheduled.  I haven't heard them yet, but they're on my "to get" list!  Word is they're excellent.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...