Sunday, December 13, 2020

Hank Jones – Bluesette (Black & Blue, 1979)

Hank Jones (p); George Duvivier (b); Alan Dawson (d)

Recorded on July 22, 1979


The rhythm section from Joe Newman's LP I Love My Woman reconvened two days later to record this gem.

Hank Jones most popular records from the 1970s were likely his albums released under the Great Jazz Trio moniker. Originally, the group featured bassist Ron Carter and drummer Tony Williams.  But I think this trio with George Duvivier and Alan Dawson are much more sympathetic ensemble.  Jones' playing with the Great Jazz Trio often reminds me of a small, nimble sportster paired with an enormous V8 muscle car engine.  Taken individually, each is wonderful -- but taken together, they don't work so well.




More Hank Jones

In 1978, Jones, Duvivier and Dawson made their first album for Black & Blue, Compassion.  It's another winner.  Some other favorites:
- Hanky Panky (East Wind/Inner City/Test of Time, 1975)
- I Remember You (Black & Blue/Classic Jazz, 1977)
- Bop Redux (Muse, 1977)
- Just for Fun (Galaxy, 1977)
- Tiptoe Tapdance (Galaxy, 1978)
- Groovin' High (Muse, 1979)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...