Sunday, October 18, 2020

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers – In this Korner (Concord, 1978)

Art Blakey (d); Valery Ponomarev (tr); Bobby Watson (as); David Schnitter (ts); James Williams (p); Dennis Irwin (b)

Recorded on May 8, 1978

Also reissued as part of the 2-CD set Blakey's Beat (Concord, 2004)


Bobby Watson has talked about his pride in helping Art Blakey re-establish a place in the forefront of jazz with this late-70s incarnation of the Jazz Messengers.  Like all of the best Blakey albums, In This Korner features burning, powerful, and expressive music.





More Art Blakey

Other favorites from the 1970s:
- Gypsy Folk Tales (Roulette, 1977)
- In My Prime, Vol. 1 (Timeless, 1978)
- In My Prime, Vol. 2 (Timeless, 1978)
- Reflections in Blue (Timeless, 1979)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...