Sunday, October 18, 2020

Jean-Luc Ponty – Cosmic Messenger (Atlantic, 1978)

Jean-Luc Ponty (v, elec v, org, syn); Joaquin Lievano (g); Peter Maunu (g); Allan Zavod (el p, syn, p, org); Ralphe Armstrong (b, el b); Casey Scheuerell (d, perc)

Recorded in April 1978


Often, when people think of jazz in the 1970s, they think of fusion.  Well, here you have it.  From this listener's perspective, Cosmic Messenger is one of the finest fusion records of the decade.  

Like many albums in the fusion sub-genre, Ponty's sound often resembles "progressive rock" groups like Genesis and Yes.  Since these groups were my musical touchstones in high school, I suppose it's no coincidence that I found Cosmic Messenger so appealing when I discovered it in college.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Wrap Up

I've now listed all 366 entries in my survey, one for each day of the year in 2020. Before ending the project, I wanted to share some mo...